Marriage green card for a Canadian citizen approved in 5 months

As an immigration attorney, I have had the privilege of helping hundreds of couples navigate the complexities of the U.S. immigration system to achieve their dreams of being together. Each case is unique, but one particular success story stands out. In this blog, I’d like to share how we achieved the approval of a marriage-based green card for a Canadian-American couple in just 5 months, despite the typical 14.5-month processing time. Their love story is a testament to the power of love and efficient legal assistance.

  1. A Whirlwind Romance: The story begins with my clients, a Canadian citizen and an American, who fell in love after a brief period of dating. Their love was undeniable, and they decided to get married, even though their courtship had been relatively short. (This may be a red flag for USCIS). Their love story was truly extraordinary and heartwarming.
  2. Navigating Immigration Challenges: The couple’s challenge was the U.S. immigration process, which can be daunting, especially for couples who wish to avoid prolonged separation. For most marriage-based green card applications, the USCIS processing times can be quite lengthy, averaging 14.5 months. This couple was determined to stay together and not let bureaucratic delays stand in the way of their dreams.
  3. The Role of an Experienced Attorney: Their key to success was enlisting the help of an experienced immigration attorney. I firmly believe that professional legal guidance is crucial when dealing with the intricate immigration system. My commitment to enabling love stories like this one is what drives me every day.
  4. Building a Strong Case: Working closely with the couple, we compiled a comprehensive and compelling green card petition. We gathered evidence of their bona fide relationship, financial stability, and shared life plans. It was essential to present a strong case that demonstrated their genuine commitment to each other.
  5. The Moment of Triumph: In just five months, we received the green card approval. This was a remarkable achievement, considering the typical processing time. The couple’s joy and relief were palpable, and their love story could continue without any more disruptions.

Conclusion: This love story is a testament to the power of love and the importance of skilled legal assistance in the immigration process. Love should not be restricted by bureaucratic hurdles or prolonged separations. When couples have a genuine relationship and the right legal guidance, they can defy the odds and make their dreams a reality. This couple’s journey is a shining example of how love can conquer even the most significant challenges, and I am honored to have been a part of their success story.

If you would like help with your marriage green card case or explore the best visa or green card options for you, schedule a consultation today with an experienced immigration lawyer or contact us at the Juras Law Firm office at 480-425-2009!  We look forward to talking with you and assisting you in obtaining your green card!



What are the income requirements for marriage green card?

In order to obtain a green card (legal permanent resident status), the green card applicant must submit an affidavit of support by a sponsor.   The sponsor must be a US citizen or legal permanent resident, 18 years of age, domiciled in the and have an income 125% above the federal poverty line. In 2020, an income 125% above the federal poverty line for a household of 2 people is $21,550, for a household of 3 people $27,150 and for the household of 4 people is $32,750.   The income of certain household members may be included.  If the sponsor cannot meet the minimum-income requirements, (s)he may provide evidence of assets that are readily available or seek a joint sponsor.  The affidavit may not be necessary if the green card applicant already has 40 quarters of earnings in the US.     

Please note that this article does not constitute a legal advice.  We simplified the law to outline one aspect of the marriage green card process.  If you would like us to obtain a marriage green card, call our experienced marriage green card attorney at 480-425-2009 or schedule your consultation online


Self-petition of abused spouse of US citizen (VAWA) approved

This case originally started as a regular marriage green card case.  US citizen husband filed for his foreign spouse and their child was born.  Soon after the birth, the US citizen started to abuse his wife verbally and physically.  She tried everything, but at the end had no choice but to leave the household.   We documented the abuse, filed a self-petition for her and have her petition approved.   She can now safely raise her child without worries about her abusive ex-husband. 

Please note that this article does not constitute a legal advice.  We simplified the law to outline one case of an abused wife of a US citizen who we helped to get her green card.  If you are subject to a physical or psychological abuse by your US spouse and need help with your green card process pursuant to the Violence Against Women Act (“VAWA”), call our experienced marriage green card attorney at 480-425-2009 or schedule your consultation online


How long does it take to get a marriage green card?

The marriage green card process is usually a very happy process. The newlyweds are excited and full of expectations for their happy lives together. The process is different if the foreign national is already in the US or if the foreign national is still in a foreign country.

If the foreign national spouse is still living in a foreign country, the process
starts with filing of a petition for the foreign national spouse. The average processing time to have the petition approved is now 6 – 7.5 months. Once the petition is approved, it’s sent to the National Visa Center, which takes approximately 30 days. The National Visa Center will need some documents to be submitted and the immigrant visa application needs to be filed. Once the National Visa Center receives all documents, it sends the case to the US Embassy or Consulate for an interview. The time it takes to schedule the interview depends on the US Embassy or Consulate. The interview is usually scheduled within a few months. Some US Consulates take longer to schedule an interview, for example in Ciudad Juarez in Mexico it is taking 6-8 months to have the interview.

If the foreign national is already in the US and is eligible for an adjustment of status, the processing time depends where (s)he lives. For example, in Phoenix, the average processing time to adjudicate the adjustment application is now 9.5 -29. months.

Please note that this article does not constitute a legal advice.  We simplified the law to outline the marriage green card process and discuss the processing time of the marriage green card. If you would like to discuss if you may qualify for a marriage green card, call our experienced marriage green card attorney at 480-425-2009 or schedule your consultation online


Proposed USCIS filing fee increase

In November 2019, the Department of Homeland Security proposed to adjust USCIS fees by a weighted average increase of 21 percent, add new fees, and make other changes, including form changes and the introduction of several new forms. For example, the filing fee for the application for naturalization is proposed to increase by 83% to $1,170, petition for H-2A non-immigrant worker by 87% to $860 (named worker), petition for L non-immigrant worker by 77% to $815 and petition for O non-immigrant worker by 55% to $715.

On July 22, 2020, the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs completed review of a final rule increasing USCIS filing fees. The Federal Register will post a copy of the final rule for public inspection before publishing it officially. In the proposed rule, DHS noted that once the rule was finalized, it would not take effect for at least 60 days after publication.

If you are considering applying for a naturalization, green card or non-immigrant status, call an experienced immigration attorney at (480) 425-2009 or contact us through our website to schedule a consultation
before the filing fees increase.


Irena Juras Gets Dreamer her Green Card

A woman that has been brought to the United States from Mexico when she was 3 years old (let’s call her the “Dreamer”) came to my office with her husband who is a U.S. citizen. They had been married for 2.5 years and have three children born in the United States. We discussed the Dreamer’s options and the Dreamer has decided to request the Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (“DACA”). She had a high school diploma and met the residency and other requirements for DACA approval. DACA was approved and she received her work authorization. Then, we filed a petition with the Dreamer’s husband as the petitioner. The petition was accompanied by supporting documents sufficient to rebut the presumption of marriage fraud. The petition was approved. Meanwhile, the Dreamer’s mother in Mexico was seriously ill and we applied for advance parole to allow the Dreamer to travel to Mexico to visit her mother. The advance parole was approved and the Dreamer traveled to Mexico, visited and helped her mother and entered the United States legally. Once the Dreamer entered the U.S. legally and met all other requirements for legal permanent residency, we filed her green card application. The application processing time in Phoenix is now more than one year. Finally, we attended an interview with the Dreamer and her husband, the application was approved and her green card has arrived. It was nice to see the happiness in her eyes to finally feel relieved that at age of 31 after living in the United States for 28 years illegally in fear, she does not have to worry that she will be deported and taken from her family. She is very appreciative for my help in guiding her through this process!
If you are facing similar circumstances or know someone else facing similar circumstances, call the immigration attorney Irena Juras at 480-425-2009 or reach us via email to schedule a consultation to discuss how we can help you!


Marriage Green Card

Juras Law Firm receives calls from U.S. citizens all the time sharing with us very exciting news that they have married or are considering marrying a person who is not a U.S. citizen. They want us to represent them in the process of sponsoring their new spouse for a green card (U.S. permanent residence) based on marriage. Since there is lots of fraud in the area of applying for a green card based on marriage, there is a presumption of fraud. We help them rebut that presumption and make sure that the new spouse will not face negative consequences based on misrepresentation. There are two groups of spouses. First, the spouses that are already in the United States. Second, spouses still living in their home country. The spouses already in the Unites States may have another type of visa. Depending on the case, we help them establish that the marriage is bona fide through documentation and representation at the interview. They may be able to get their marriage green card without leaving the United States. Spouses seeking green cards based on a marriage that has entered the U.S. without authorization may need to get a waiver of illegal presence. We help them establish an extreme hardship to the U.S. citizen spouse if they are not allowed to stay in the United States. Once the waiver is approved, the final step is to schedule an interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. The second group of spouses is spouses who are still living in their home country and want to apply for a green card based on marriage to a U.S. citizen. They are going through a two-step process. The first step is to establish that their marriage is bona fide and second is to attend an interview at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country. If you are considering applying for a green card based on marriage and want to make sure to minimize the time apart and avoid any negative consequences associated with the process, call us today at 480-425-2009 or contact us via our website and schedule a consultation today!