Can you get a permanent marriage green card if you get divorced?

?I am seeing this question often.   Sometime after the marriage green interview, the conditional green card holder contacts my office and tells me that the marriage is not working out for numerous reasons.  It may be a physical or emotion abuse, infidelity, etc.   The conditional green card holder is worried what will happen with his or her permanent green card.

One example is a client of mine who was planning to relocate to live with her new husband in his city of residence.   Having three children, this move required a lot of coordination – finding a job, schools for her kids, saving money, etc.  When she was finally ready to move, she found out that her husband found someone else.  At the end, I was still able to get her the permanent green card because she entered into a marriage in good faith.

As long as the marriage was entered in good faith, the conditional resident may have her or his conditions removed and get her or his permanent green card. 

Please note that this article does not constitute a legal advice.  We simplified the law to outline one aspect of the marriage green card process and removal of conditions on residence.  If you would like us to obtain a marriage green card or need help with the removal of conditions on residence, call our experienced marriage green card attorney at 480-425-2009 or schedule your consultation online