Visa for Medical Researchers or Physician’s Assistants

Foreign medical graduates may be eligible for an H-1B visa if they have an invitation from a public or nonprofit private educational or research institution or agency to teach and conduct research, or if coming as a clinical physician and have passed (i) the licensing administered by the Federation of State Medical Boards of the US or an equivalent and (ii) English language proficiency test given by ECFMG.

If the foreign physician is not coming to the U.S. to perform services as a member of the medical profession (e.g., administrator of a drug company), the certifying exam is not required. A physician’s assistant or medical researcher is not eligible for an H-1B visa if they are involved in any manner whatsoever in direct patient care.

Another option may be a J-1 visa or under certain circumstances a B-1 visa.

Visa for Medical Researchers

A medical doctor otherwise classifiable H-1 as a member of a profession whose purpose for coming to the United States is to observe U.S. medical practices and consult with colleagues on the latest techniques may be eligible to visit the U.S. as a B-1 visitor for 60-90 days provided no remuneration is received from a U.S. source and no patient care is involved.

Please note that this article does not constitute legal advice from our law firm.  We simplified the law to provide general information about some visa options for foreign medical physicians.  If you would like to discuss what is the best visa option in your circumstances or need help obtaining a visa for a foreign medical graduate, schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer in Scottdale, AZ or call the Juras Law Firm, PLC office at 480-425-2009! We look forward to talking with you and helping you obtain a visa for a foreign physician!