Exchange Visitors (J Visa)

J visa is for non-immigrant visitors: professor or research scholars, short-term scholars, bona fide trainees or interns, college or university students, teachers, secondary school students, non-academic specialists, foreign physicians, international visitors, government visitors, camp counselors, au pair or summer student in a travel/work program.

The exchange visitor needs to establish that (s)he is fluent in English, has sufficient funds, maintains medical insurance for accident and illness, has a residence abroad and has valid Form DS-2019.  An exchange visitor may enter 30 days before the program start date and may remain 30 days post-completion.  If the training is in a field that can be utilized in the foreign country and is on the Exchange Visitor Skill List, the J-1 visa may be subject to 2-year foreign residence requirement.

Internship Program is for foreign nationals who are either currently enrolled in and pursuing studies at a degree- or certificate-granting post-secondary institution outside the U.S. or graduated from such an institution no more than 12 months prior to the start date of the exchange program.

Trainee program is for foreign nationals who either have a degree or professional certificate from a foreign post-secondary academic institution and at least one year of prior related work experience in their occupational field outside the US or 5 years of work experience outside the US in their occupational field.  The program is generally limited to 18 months, except in the case of agriculture and hotel and tourism, which are 12 months with certain exceptions.

College and University Students Internship Program permit foreign students who are currently enrolled in an accredited post-secondary academic institution outside the U.S. to participate in a student program designated by the Department of State in the U.S. for a maximum of 12 months.

Secondary School Students ages 15 – 18.5 have an opportunity to study at an accredited public or private secondary schools for a semester or academic year while living with a host family.

Au Pair Program permits youth 18 to 26 years old from abroad to be placed with American host families seeking child care.

Teacher Program is for foreign nationals with the equivalent of U.S. bachelor’s degrees in education or subject matter they intend to teach and a minimum of the equivalent of two years post-degree full-time teaching experience who are employed as teachers and are seeking entry for the purpose of teaching full time in a primary or secondary accredited academic institution.

For more information and for any help with your J-1 visa, call our Phoenix J-1 visa attorney at 480 425-2009 or contact us via our website!