How Students Use F-1 Visas to Enter U.S.

Student (F-1) visas are for students who seek to enter the U.S. temporarily and solely for the purpose of pursuing a full course of study at an established institution of learning or other recognized place of study in the United States. Students have to establish that they have sufficient academic credentials to attend particular institution, are proficient in English or receive training to become proficient, have sufficient financial support and have foreign residence that they have no intention of abandoning.

The consulate may now issue the F-1 visa up to 120 days in advance of the studies. Students may be admitted a maximum of thirty (30) days before the program start date.  Students are admitted for duration of status (completion of the program, including progression to higher levels if accomplished in accordance with Department of Homeland Security transfer procedures) plus 60 days.

The F program is administered by ICE.  Under the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) program, the institution must report when the student commences a full course of study, drops below a full course of study, transfers schools, extends stay, is reinstated to status, or engages in employment.

For more information and for any help with your F-1 visa, call our F-1 visa attorney at 480-425-2009 or contact us via our website!