Can I enter the U.S. with my green card after one year abroad?

If you have a green card and stayed outside the United States due to circumstances beyond your control for longer than one year or beyond the validity of the re-entry permit, you may need a returning resident (SB-1) special immigrant visa to enter the United States and resume permanent residence. You will need to prove that you did not abandon your residency.

If your application for returning resident status is not approved, a new green card petition will need to be filed.

Please note that this article does not constitute legal advice.  We simplified the law to provide only general information about green card use and validity after an extended stay abroad.  If you plan extended stay abroad or stayed abroad due to unforeseen circumstances and would like to discuss your situation and how we can help you, schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer in Phoenix at TODAY or call our office at 480-425-2009.