My visa will expire while I am in the US. Is that OK?

A visa put in your passport allows you to enter the United States. The Customs and Border Protection Immigration Officer still conducts an inspection to determine if you can be allowed to the United States. If they allow you to enter the Unites States, how long you are allowed to stay will be specified on your admission stamp or Form I-94, called an Arrival/Departure Record. You will be able to remain in the United States during that specified period, even if your visa expires during the time you are in the United States. How long you are allowed to stay in the Unites States may be shorter or longer than your visa validity. For example, a tourist visa is usually issued for 10 years, but Immigration Officer usually allows people to stay in the United States for 6 months, unless there are reasons for longer stay.

Please note that this article does not constitute a legal advice. We simplified the law to provide only general information applicable in most cases. If you would like discuss your specific situation and need help with your visa or green card, schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer in Phoenix at or call our office at 480-425-2009.