How Long After My Marriage Can I Apply for a Green Card?

How long after you get married you can start the process with an immigration lawyer of applying for a green card depends on your concrete situation. First of all, the marriage has to be a real marriage and not just a marriage for the purpose of getting a green card. If you have come to the United States legally with a visa and have a genuine relationship that leads to a marriage, the process can be started once you get married. If you are living abroad, your spouse can file a petition after you are married, and then the U.S. Embassy or Consulate will issue an immigrant visa for you to come to the U.S. to live here permanently. You should not be coming to the United States with a tourist visa or ESTA to live in the US permanently.

In some situations when you’re seeking a green card through marriage, you may need a waiver. For example, if you crossed the border without a visa or you came with a J-1 visa that requires you to go back to your country for 2 years before you can apply for a green card. A consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer will save you valuable time and money and limit the time of separation from your loved ones.

Please note that this article does not constitute legal advice. If you are getting married, would like to move to the U.S. permanently, and apply for a marriage green card, schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer in Scottsdale, AZ or call our office at 480-425-2009.