How can you move to the US permanently and legally?

I hear this question all the time. People are traveling to the United States as tourists or visit family or potential business partner, they like the weather, opportunities and are looking for ways to stay.  They are generally six main ways how to stay in the US:

1. Some people have a close relative in the United States (spouse, fiancé(e), parent, child or sibling). For example, I had lots of couples coming to my office.  A foreigner met US citizen, they fell in love, get married and they want to be together.

2. People come to study at a US university, they get a US degree and get a job offer from a U.S. employer.  The US employer hires them under optional practical training and later files a petition for H-1B visa or other type of visa and later for a green card. 

3. Entrepreneurial people want to buy or start their own business. 

4. Some people have extraordinary ability in sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics and achieved sustained national or international acclaim. For example, I represented a Shaolin Kung Fu Master who was one of a few Shaolin Kung Fu Masters that reached the top of his field and as such I was able to get him a green card. 

5. Some people fear of being killed or harmed in their country because of their political or religious beliefs, sexual orientation, nationality or a membership in a group and may qualify for asylum.

6. People may be selected in a diversity lottery that is being conducted in fall.

Please note that this article does not constitute legal advice. If you would like to move to the U.S. permanently and would like to discuss what is the best way to move to the U.S. legally, schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer in Phoenix at or call our office at 480-425-2009.