What export license requirements do I need to follow?

Several U.S. agencies maintain control over exported items, such as the Bureau of Export Administration in the U.S. Department of Commerce, which controls the export of dual-use items (items that have commercial uses but also may have potential military applications), the U.S. State Department which controls ammunitions and arms, or the U.S. Department of Agriculture which controls the export of livestock, dairy and poultry items. The Bureau of Export Administration controls the export and re-export of dual-use commodities, technology and software for reasons of national security, foreign policy, non-proliferation or short supply. In order to determine whether any dual-use item requires an export license, consult the Commerce Control List (includes items subject to the export licensing requirements), and the Commerce Country Chart (contains licensing requirements based on destination and reasons for control), which is maintained by the Bureau of Export Administration. Under certain circumstances, exceptions from the export license requirement are authorized.